Saturday, April 25, 2015

100 Years Lest We Forget

I Remember My Grandmother
Doris Marion Green-Russell


On this Day, ANZAC Day 2015, I sit in awe of the memories 
of a time now long past. This is the 100th year of the landing at Gallipoli 
where so many young lives were lost on the bloody battle fields of war. 
I have a very special place in my heart for this time.

Although my Grandmother could not be said to have made an overwhelming
contribution to any particular field of endeavor in Australia
during her life. But her death was duly noted by most of Australia's news papers.
It was what she did during the War years WW1 - The Great War My Grandmother, 
it was reported, Was the last survive of the Party of Red Cross Nurses 
who accompanied the first Australian convoy at the outbreak of the 
First World War.

She sailed in the troopship Orvieto, and was on her way to Egypt 
when HMAS Sydney sank the German cruiser Emden, at the battle of Coco Islands. 
My Grandmother served with the Diggers ( Australian Soilders ) at Gallipoli
And severed throughout the duration of World War One She then returned to Australia, 
and to the a normal nursing life in 1920's. She was mentioned in a dispatch 
by Lt. General Sir J.G Maxwell for her bravery and devotion to her duties while under fire.
Her death today brings to light, and highlights the fact that Australia's first Anzac's
Our old soldiers and the ones that severed are slowly but surely passing 
Into the fading memories of yesterday.

Today, there are none. This year 2015, 100 years - 
We only hear their whispers in time. We will never forget what they gave 
So we can live the freedom we do today
We will remember them all always and what they gave so their 
Children can live in Peace.

I remember my Grandmother, Doris Marion Green-Russell 
as a gentle Lady Kind and understanding. She very rarely spoke of her time 
during the War, But then I guess her silence said more than words could.
 She had seen the pain and suffering of war first hand and this 
she never shared but held deep with in her Heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment